The Sharkmen’s 6 game unbeaten run was halted yesterday afternoon in a 7 goal thriller against 16th placed Vihiga Bullets held at Kasarani Annex.

William Muluya made three changes in the starting team with Reagan Odede and Isaac Wasambo starting in midfield as Julius Masaba slotted at the backline after serving his suspension.

The home side exhibited their will to seal off the game early into the encounter when Erick Mata was fouled at the edge of the box in the 5th minute,Midfield kingpin Patilah Omoto stepped up and dispatched it with power giving Elix Otieno in Vihiga goal no chance as Sharks went ahead.

In the 18th minute, Erick Mata was at it once again after being set up by Frederick Alushula, the striker tried to beat his marker but was tripped inside the area and a penalty was awarded.Erick Mata stepped up and hit it with skill and precision to double Sharks’ lead marking his 11th goal of the season 1 shy off Felix Oluoch who is out injured.

Sharks celebrate Patilah Omoto’s opener

Immediately after the interval was a triple change with Bonface Onyango,Reagan Odede and Isaac Wasambo paving way for Alphonce Omija, Douglas Mokaya and Steve Otieno.

Trouble begun brewing in the 48th minute when Julius Masaba brought down Vincent Ogolla in the box, Vihiga’s second half introduction Robert Arrot struck it well but failed to beat John ‘Toldo’ Otieno at full stretch. 8 minutes later, Vihiga’s Rajab Kagota’s cross swerved wickedly to evade Alphonce Omija only for Robert Arrot once again to see his header hit the upright bouncing back to Vincent Ogolla’s path who acrobatically hit it to pull one back for the visitors.

Erick Mata dribbles in search of support from his teammates.

Frederick Alushula was ejected in the 65th minute for John Omondi, 2 minutes later a quick interplay down the right between Kelvin Mwavali led to his chipped his ball to find an unmarked Martin Okumu who beat John Otieno at the near post for Vihiga’s second of the game.

Sharks responded in the 76th minute when super left Douglas Mokaya released burly John Omondi down the right channel, he footworked his way through a forest of blue shirts to tee up Steve Otieno who picked his spot on the turn beating Elix Otieno at the near post for his fourth of the season putting Sharks 3-2 up.

The lead was short lived as Vihiga Bullets struck yet again 6 minutes later just after John Otieno had denied Martin Okumu from point blank range, Sharks failed to clear the resultant corner as Robert Arrot sneaked in behind the defence to pluck the equalizer for the third time in the game.

Vihiga Bullet’s Lucas Weitere [right] shields the ball from Sharks’ Fortune Omoto
Vihiga Bullets hit hard the nail in Sharks’ coffin in the 84th minute when Kelvin Mwavale spotted a well timed Robert Arrot run to play him a through ball, the winger outpaced Julius Masaba bringing in a low cross which was tapped in by Philip Muchuma for the last straw completing their resilient comeback.

The defeat leaves Sharks perched 6th after 29 outings with 45 points and 5 matches to play.

Sharks will be away to AFC Leopards on Saturday 14th May in the next fixture.

Leave a Reply

Kenya Premier League