The 7th Slum Derby presented the boys with an opportunity to bounce back from the disappointing outing last week. Having been same fixture that the boys ended a bad run last season, club faithfuls were hoping for a deja vu

However,  a hugely tactical match at the Machakos Stadium meant that chances were hard to come by for both sides and whenever they did come, they were not utilized. The result leaves the boys frustrated as match day four ends with win still elusive.


Team News

Coach William Muluhya handed new signing Daniel Sakari his first start in the team while maintaining the other ten players who started  last week. Samuel Olwande became just the second player to play for both sides in the Slum Derby with his appearance today.

Starting XI : John Oyemba (GK), Eric Juma (c) Nixon Omondi,  Lemu Shiveka,  Samuel Olwande,  Sven Yidah, Patila Omoto,  Duke Abuya,  Julius Masaba,  Daniel Sakari,  Erick Kapaito.

SUBS : Brian Oyande ( GK ), Michael Bodo, Shaphan Oyugi, Kevintom Machika, Harrison Mwendwa, Patrick Ngunyi, James Mazembe.


First Half

Both teams spent the better part of the first quarter of the game sizing up each other with the play restricted to build up play. It was Sharks who were first to threaten when Sakari unleashed a powerful shot from outside the area but it went directly to the goalkeeper. Mathare then almost took the lead as there was a big scare when Oyemba was penalised for fouling striker Omulangaat the edge of the area but the resultant free kick was kicked over the bar. Duke Abuya saw his shot go just inches wide with what was the last kick of the first half. 


Second Half

The coach introduced Harrison Mwendwa for Masaba at the hour mark looking to find a way past the opponents. His pace caused problems in the defence but no goals were coming through. Oyemba then safely handled a shot from Tyson who had beat three defenders at the edge of the area. He then stood tall to collect three dangerous crosses from the opponents who started piling the pressure. Machika came in for Kapaito with eight minutes to go but still the deadlock could not be broken.


It marked the third game in a row without a goal for the Sharks and the boys will have a lot of soul searching to do in order to get the new season going.

Leave a Reply

Kenya Premier League